This semester, I've been given 24 hours (teaching hours) per week. However, never have I felt so free. I've never been able to plan all of my lessons before, but this semester, I get to plan almost all of my lessons and even prepare slides for them.
Surprisingly, I've come to realize that planned lessons aren't as fun as unplanned lessons. I spend an hour at the very least to prepare slides and find supplementary information for one class, but it often end up being a boring experience for me. It's not that my lessons aren't exciting, my students are kept busy and engaged throughout the lesson, but I feel bored. In contrast, on days I find myself distracted and forget to prepare a lesson in advanced, it becomes exciting, for me. At the same time, my students seem to be engaged in the lesson as well. In one situation, my class was in a room equipped with a PC and a projector, so I decided to have students write their outlines on the PC while their friends watch. It was spontaneous but met the requirement of the CO (course objective) while being fun.
Don't get me wrong, planning is actually good. In most cases, a planned lesson is usually the effective to achieve learning outcomes. Spontaneous lessons might just derail the lesson.
No comments:
Post a Comment